Day 2
Sólheimasandur, Dyrhólaey, Kirkjubærklaustur and Skaftafell
We woke up
to the gushing sounds of the nearby Skógarfoss. (Or, I woke up and in all my mercy decided not
to wake Jakob up) I quickly got up to see the foss in all its
wet glory. However to my dismay, busses loaded with battalions of tourists
had started to arrive. I took this as a fine indicator to pack up and leave for
our next destination. (I don’t abhor tourists, just everything they bring with
them e.g. ridiculous puffin-themed shops, abundances of hotels and destruction
of local culture. Of course the irony is quite clear as we ourselves were
tourists, however, 5 months of living in Reykjavik had made us into burning
Icelandic nationalists, and there wasn’t any other topic that could bring the
Icelanders together as well as the horrors of tourist legions and how they ruined the country with all their money).
I woke up Jakob and started packing down the tent as he went to the loo. He returned with a look of bafflement and slight anger in his face. Apparently he had been ambushed by the so-called caretaker of the campsite. As he walked out of the toilet house, she ascended on him and demanded tribute for us using the campsite, something that had not been stated when we arrived. So much for the open-air act.
We left Skógarfoss enraged by the greed of the caretaker. We were promised free camping, or had thought so. We had much to learn about camping in Iceland.
I woke up Jakob and started packing down the tent as he went to the loo. He returned with a look of bafflement and slight anger in his face. Apparently he had been ambushed by the so-called caretaker of the campsite. As he walked out of the toilet house, she ascended on him and demanded tribute for us using the campsite, something that had not been stated when we arrived. So much for the open-air act.
We left Skógarfoss enraged by the greed of the caretaker. We were promised free camping, or had thought so. We had much to learn about camping in Iceland.
Our first destination of the day would be the old US. Navy plane crash site at Sólheimasandur. We quickly arrived after driving the vast landscapes of the South. This scenery was characterized by a wall of huge black mountains on our right and long black beaches at the end of desert-like wasteland. At times it felt as we were in Mad Max, just with less Mel Gibson and more lunatics behind wheels.
| Jakob starring in Mad Max: Icelandic Road Annoyance |
| Oh so Noir or whatever. |
| The view from Dyrhólaey |
On our way to Kirkjubærklaustur (I, too, wonder how the hell they name these places) we passed through the Eldhraun, or the lava stream. (Solidified of course, this ain't Indiana Jones) The endless fields of solidified lava was an extraordinary view and gave an almost science-fiction-like feel.
| Eldhraun, lava, but cooler. |
Jakob and I set out to hike the area and was not disappointed. We quickly got up on the hillside and was presented by a magnificent view of the coastline. On the other side was a small cozy lake and a few exotic birds. The hike was an hour and excellent after sitting in the car. We drove off to our last destination of the day: Skaftafell.
| Jakob showing the elegance of a Dane in altitudes. |
After an hour of driving we came to the small green pocket that was Skaftafell, gracefully placed at the foot of the Vatnajökull National Park and surrounded by mountains and glaciers. (The highest peak of Iceland is right next to it.) The car got parked at the Visitor Center and I headed in to enquire about camping. I was tired and tried shamelessly to hear if free camping in the area was a possibility. The clerk would have none of that. I was told that it was illegal and we would've been hunted down like wild animals. I did not doubt her. It was apparent that our plan of camping in the wild wherever we found the most picturesque spot was slowly going down the drain. I gave up and went back to the car to get the money for a campsite. During the details of camping I had to state where we were from and suddenly the before-threatening clerk switched over in Danish and the atmosphere got both better and quite more strange. The poor woman had spent 5 years of her life studying to become a music-therapist in Aalborg. After hearing that I felt nothing, but compassion for her. (Sorry to my friends living in Aalborg, Im sure it has gotten better, but 5 years in a city like Aalborg could break any nature-accustomed Icelander.) I got the sticker for the tent after a 10min conversation with the Danish speaking clerk. (Mainly me declaring my sympathy)
| Cooking beneath Mt. Hvannadalshnúkur. |
Jakob and I then proceeded to find the most beautiful camping site and put up the tent. We cooked our Tex-Mex Pot to the view of the most grand peaks of Iceland. The food was all right, but the view even better. A nice end to a long day of road trippin'.
Next day would show us the rest of the South and the entrance to the Eastfjords.
| Mt. Hvannadalshnúkur - Highest peak of Iceland, also the hardest to pronounce. |
Ingen kommentarer:
Send en kommentar